Rapid development in urban areas requires the general public to travel daily. With current inter-town connectivity via public transportation, there is constant increase of public transportation users as they find such mode of transportation affordable and convenient. With this development, public transportation providers, such as bus and taxi operators, need to ensure that their services and vehicles are up to standards and efficient to remain relevant in the industry.
The Vehicle Diagnostic Monitoring System (VDMS) provides a connected, data-rich monitoring environment. The VDMS device captures real-time data from vehicles (buses, taxis and trucks) which provides detailed vehicle status to the transportation providers. Through the system, service providers can monitor location and current task of their vehicles, vehicles’ health status, fuel consumption and carbon emission among others.
This technology targets public transportation providers, such as bus and taxi operators, to whom vehicle close tracking and monitoring are vital to assess the standards and efficiencies of their service.
The major benefits of adopting this technology include:
- Improving service performances and efficiencies by closely monitoring activities of the vehicles;
- Improving safety by monitoring drivers’ driving practice while at the same time ensuring good work discipline among the drivers;
- Assisting transportation service providers to drill down on daily fuel consumption of the vehicles thus identifying the elements in reducing cost and fuel consumption;
- Supporting green technology by monitoring carbon emission of vehicles - ensuring that the vehicles adhere to the carbon emission limit for cities they travel to; and
- Providing the transportation service providers with vehicle health status at any given time and to alert them on any emergencies.